Across the country, BIPOC-, veteran-, and women-led businesses and nonprofits have disproportionately suffered due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but what is the story here in Dayton?
Over the next two months, our small but mighty editorial team will bring you insightful reporting aimed at:
- Understanding the experiences of Dayton’s women-, veteran- and minority-owned businesses two years into the pandemic;
- Illuminating what’s working, what isn’t and why;
- Identifying solutions that help businesses go from a state of surviving to thriving;
- Rallying resources and implementing solutions.
The COVID Can’t Stop Us campaign is part of Elevate Dayton’s community-centered approach to journalism in which we amplify unheard voices, inspire change, create reciprocal experiences, and drive innovative solutions that elevate the life and culture of Dayton’s under-represented communities.
While the pandemic continues to heap plenty of heartache and financial devastation on Dayton’s small business community, it also is surfacing new opportunities. By sharing the stories of women-, veteran- and minority-owned businesses, prioritizing their experiences, and connecting them with each other and with resources, Elevate Dayton is doing its part to build a local economy that is equitable, resilient and responsive to community needs.
Here are three ways you can help:
Shape our coverage: Are you an owner, employee or service provider of a woman-, veteran- or minority-owned business in Dayton? If so, you have valuable insights and experiences that can inform our reporting, influence policymakers, and identify needed resources.
Please complete the community engagement survey(s) relevant to your experience:
- Women-, veteran- and minority-owned business owners: https://forms.gle/841iC6CR1BaeGPFj7
- Employees at women-, veteran- and minority-owned businesses: https://forms.gle/m7yyKSmr6Ki1BorKA
- Service providers of women-, veteran- and minority-owned businesses (nonprofits, chambers of commerce, banks, credit unions, CDOs, CDFI’s, etc.): https://forms.gle/KE94mGyYMyzGxjzq8
Join Elevate Communities: Connect, communicate and build community through our new Elevate Communities platform. Email Publisher Nate Dillard for details.
Support our Solutions Summit: Our campaign will culminate in a Solutions Summit that will bring together business leaders, policymakers, community development funders and service providers to address the challenges facing women-, veteran- and minority-owned businesses. Email Publisher Nate Dillard if you or your organization is interested in sponsoring our event and fueling our journalism.
Thank you for your continued support of Elevate Dayton. Our broad and supportive community will always power our coverage.